Skip to Content

Universal Credit

Are you on one of the benefits that Universal Credit is replacing?
Or can you claim Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a new benefit that is being introduced in stages between 2013 and 2023. It is for people of working age, in or out of work, designed to top up their income to a minimum level. Universal Credit will eventually replace Housing Benefit and certain other benefits for people who are out of work as well as tax credits for people in work.

Universal Credit is gradually replacing these benefits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

IMPORTANT: Universal Credit does not include help with your Council Tax. You must claim Council Tax Support separately, from your local council.

Most people will get the same amount of money as they would have under the benefits listed above – it just looks like more because of the benefits all being paid together, including help with your housing costs (rent, some service charges) and is paid monthly, all at once.

If you are Pension Credit age, you will not be affected by this change, unless you have a partner who is under Pension Credit age and you are not getting Pension Credit. See the Frequently Asked Questions if this applies to you.

Universal Credit is being introduced gradually across the country and in stages. The government aims to have it fully rolled out by 2023.

Universal Credit paid in one lump sum and on a monthly basis and will include any entitlement to help you pay your rent. This is very different to the current system so it is worth finding out about these changes, so you can start thinking about what you might need to do to prepare for it.

See the Universal Credit FAQs for how to get help with managing the change to Universal Credit.