Support for adult carers
We recognise that caring for someone can be very rewarding. It can also be very stressful and lonely, and can have a significant impact on your emotional and physical health and your financial wellbeing.
Many carers, whatever their age, reach a point at which they need help. But asking for help is hard. Whatever your situation, just get in touch with us and have an informal chat. We can help.
What we offer
We offer a range of support and advice to help maintain your own wellbeing whilst in your caring role. We can help you identify the impact of your caring responsibilities on your life and help find potential solutions. We can help to ensure that you receive all the help and support that you are entitled to, which can include referrals for a comprehensive Carers assessment with North Somerset Council or a Care Assessment for the person you care for.
It’s important that you feel comfortable talking to us, so we will tailor our approach to supporting you. This can be using a more formal process or simply an informal chat.
- Information and advice through phone calls, community drop ins, online support and face to face appointments
- Practical support interventions related to your caring role
- Support with referrals and signposting to ensure you’re receiving all the help you are entitled to
- Help with financial support and benefits
- A variety of groups and opportunities to meet with other carers
- Support to understand your rights and choices
- Support to look after your own wellbeing
Maintaining and finding employment can be difficult when you have caring responsibilities, with up to 600 people giving up work every day to care for a relative. Our Employment adviser works with Young Adult and Adult Carers aged 18+ across North Somerset. The type of support we offer includes;
- Identifying your aspirations
- Accessing training and education, including those aspiring to further education
- Practical skills with CV writing and interview techniques
- Support with job search and identifying employment opportunities
- Employer liaison to help maintain current employment
- Accessing volunteering opportunities